- How can we use this to our brain’s natural ways to our advantage?
- Make things we don’t want – less easy to access, less tangible, less attractive. For example, less healthy foods in a hard to reach location, or in a box that on it has your current weight so you think about it before eating it, or just don’t buy it
- Make thing we want – more visible, accessible, more immediate, more tangible. As the first thing, you see when you open your fridge is good healthy options like vegetables, healthy fats, tasty dip.
- Give yourself space to let the “thinker” the cortex to come in – that might mean putting the food in hard to reach places so you have time to think, or taking 5 deep breaths or talking to someone
- Minimise barriers/conflict to behaviours we want to do – if it’s hard, we don’t want to do it
Satisfy the needs of your body in other ways, like getting pleasure from something else rather than food.